- Are Domestic Partnerships Legal in New York?
- Same-Sex Marriage
- What are the NY Requirements for Domestic Partnership?
- What are the Fees to Register a Domestic Partnership?
New York laws recognize the diversity of family configurations, including lesbian, gay, and other non-traditional couples. The laws of New York State recognize the Domestic Partnership as a legal union for couples who have a close and committed relationship.
Based on the U.S. Supreme Court decision (Obergefell v. Hodges), same-sex marriage is legal in every state, including territories and the District of Columbia, in the United States.
Persons who are legally married, including those of the same-sex, have entitlement to greater benefits and rights in the State of New York, than individuals who are registered “domestic partners.”
When a person enters lawfully into same-sex marriage in a state other than New York, he and she are is entitled to most the majority of N.Y. benefits and rights granted to any other individuals married lawfully in New York. If you wish to enter into a marriage in s jurisdictions located outside of New York State, I recommend that you contact that state jurisdiction and find out if there are any restrictions or requirement pertaining to marriage in that particular jurisdiction.
In order to register to become a Domestic Partnership, the following requirements are:
- Both partners must be residents of New York City, or at least one partner is employed by the City of New York on the date of registration;
- Both persons are 18 years of age or older;
- Neither partner is married or related by blood in a manner that would bar the marriage in New York State;
- Both partners have a close and committed personal relationship, live together, and have been living together on a continuous basis;
- Both partners have to be able to truthfully state an identical residential address on the application form for the Domestic Partnership; and
- Neither partner is currently in another Domestic Partnership or registered as a member of another Domestic Partnership within the last six months.
The fee to register a Domestic Partnership is $35 payable to the New York City Clerk.